Did you know that 12 kids die annually from window falls and another 5,000 are injured? The Hannah Geneser Foundation is doing what they can to prevent more children from fatal falls in honor of their daughter Hannah, who passed away in March of 2011.
There are a few things you can do as parents to prevent a fatal fall:
- Supervise your children as they play
- Teach your children not to play near windows
- Close and lock your windows when children are around
- Only open windows that children cannot reach or are secured with compliant locks
- Keep beds, furniture, and anything a child can climb on away from windows
- Do not depend on screens to prevent falls, they are not designed for this purpose
- Repair broken windows or non-working parts as soon as possible
- Open windows from the top, not from the bottom
- Install child safety devices that comply with ASTM F2090-2008 and 2010 standards
- Never leave young children unattended near open windows
To learn more about Hannah and to get more information on window safety, visit The Hannah Geneser Foundation today!