The open space and distance of rural living can mean working in remote areas alone. If an accident happens, it may take time for someone to make the initial call for help. It also means it will take longer for emergency responders to reach you. Communication is key!
- Never work alone
- Have a cell phone or two-way radio on you at all times
- Always let others know where you are and check in regularly
- Know the geographical location of your farm
- Provide EMS with landmarks and reference points to direct them to the right spot
- Consider posting location information around the farm for all to see or carry it on a card in your pocket
- Teach your children what to do in an emergency situation and how to call for help
There is a movement in Ireland to eliminate the uncertainty of a farmer’s location and aid the rescue team in getting to the injured person in a timelier manner. Read more from The Scottish Farmer.