Are the young people in your boat wearing a life jacket? Is a sober boater behind the wheel? Do you have equipment on hand in case someone is tossed overboard?
- Boat operators must have current boat registration sticker on the vessel
- Wearable life jackets available for everyone in the boat
- Youth under the age of 13 are required to wear a life jacket while the boat is underway
- Have a working fire extinguisher on board
- Boats exceeding 16 feet should have a throwable floatation device on hand
- Iowa law requires any person 12-17 years old, who will operate a motorboat over 10 horsepower or personal watercraft, to successfully complete the boater education program (check with your state departments on individual state requirements)
- Inspect your boat and trailer before leaving the driveway