Ag Organizations Partner to Save Lives
Over the past 50 years, more than 900 cases of grain engulfment have been reported in the U.S. with a fatality rate of 62 percent. In 2010, at least 26 U.S. workers were killed in grain engulfments – the highest number on record. The most tragic fact of all: grain engulfments are highly preventable.
Nationwide Agribusiness Insurance Company is partnering with Farm Safety For Just Kids, Heartland Co-op, Iowa FFA Foundation, National Education Center for Agricultural Safety (NECAS) and others to increase awareness of the dangers of flowing grain and bring visibility to safety procedures that can save lives through an annual Grain Bin Safety Week beginning in 2014.
Timed to bring safety awareness to the dangers of grain bins prior to planting season in much of the country, the week-long event will highlight a different component each of the seven days:
- Sunday, Feb. 23: Grain management
- Monday, Feb. 24: Bin hazard identification
- Tuesday, Feb. 25: Bin and equipment design
- Wednesday, Feb. 26: Bin entry
- Thursday, Feb. 27: Working safely in a bin
- Friday, Feb. 28: Extraction/rescue
- Saturday, Mar. 1: Confined spaces beyond the bin
Please join us in celebrating Grain Bin Safety Week and stay tuned for more posts on the topic! For more information visit www.grainbinsafetyweek.com! #GBSW14