If you are anything like me and my family, you can’t wait to try out your new power tools and gadgets you opened this Christmas. Sometimes to the extent of creating your own little time sensitive projects that are suddenly at the top of your to-do list! For a farmer a power tool can be the difference between a few hours of work and a few days of work. It’s no secret that these gadgets make things easier and can be very useful if used carefully. All tools pose some amount of danger, but electric hand tools have the added danger of speed, power, and electrical currents that can shock and even kill when not used properly.
You can avoid accidents and health problems if you:
- Pick the right tool for the job
- Replace or repair damaged tools
- Take your time when using hand tools
- Make sure cords of power tools are in good condition
- Wear personal protective equipment like ear plugs, dust masks, and safety glasses
- Make sure all shields are in good shape to prevent flying debris and protection from moving parts
Remember tools can be a real help when working on the farm. They can also be very harmful if not used with respect.