Harvest time can be one of the busiest times of the year for farmers and their families. Working hard to accomplish any task is something to take pride in. Just make sure the long hours don’t have tragic results. Here are some suggestions to stay safe:
- Carry out preseason maintenance and repairs before harvest.
- Clear plugged equipment only after power is turned off.
- All guards and shields should be secured before equipment is started.
- Always tell someone where you’re working and check in regularly.
- Avoid sleep deprivation and extreme physical exhaustion.
Along with these tips, don’t leave your kids clueless when it comes to safety. Communicate the importance of staying away from machinery, not playing too close to the road and designate age-appropriate tasks for them to take part in during this busy time.
Happy harvest and may all your yields be better than expected!