As Farm Safety & Health Week 2013 comes to an end, remember that farm safety is more than just a week long. Just like your farming operation, it endures 24 hours a day and 365 days a year. For over 25 years Farm Safety For Just Kids has been encouraging farm families to embrace safety procedures and inspire others to provide safe farm and ranch environments for all. By working together we can make agriculture a safer industry.
Here are 10 important tips to keep in mind:
- No extra riders. No exceptions.
- Avoid PTOs while in motion.
- Always make sure the tractor is in park before stepping off.
- Make sure SMV signs are visible.
- Slow down and give vehicles you meet on the road plenty of space.
- Never second guess an animal’s instincts.
- Always use the buddy system when working with grain.
- Keep chemicals in their original labeled container.
- Wear the appropriate helmet when riding ATVs and horses.
- Always be a student of farm safety!